Welcome Chico Unified School District students, parents and guardians to another exciting school year!
There are so many awesome things cooking up at the CUSD Nutrition Department!
- The Nutrition Team
has been honored two years in a row from FRESHMeals@Schools as one of 13
school districts with the healthiest menu.
- Your nutrition team
strives to use as many local vendors as possible for our fresh fruits,
vegetables, proteins, milk and dairy. Over the past 6 years our
Nutrition program has supported more and more local companies.
- For the past several
years we have partnered with Chico High School FFA to build the Henshaw
Farm. This past year the farm has produced watermelon, cantaloupe, honeydew
and cranberry beans for our school food program. That means that
students produced food for other students!
- We have our own
bakery with three professional bakers that produce many of our breakfast
items such as muffins, cinnamon rolls, and dinner rolls! Our bakery also provides wonderful bakery products for our catering events.
- As time continues
our goal continues to be to use as few processed foods as possible. We
prepare many of our menu items from scratch and are continually working
to eliminate more and more of the processed foods. A great example is
our pizza. We make the dough fresh daily, the sauce from scratch and
assemble all the pizzas right in our bakery using low sodium cheese,
fresh vegetables and local meats.
- Our Turkey and Gravy and some of our Secondary Burritos are all make from scratch. Turkey, pork, beef and beans all cooked from scratch and used in several of our recipes.
- We just received a great new product for our freshly made sandwiches. Farm to Family all natural, Oven Roasted sliced Turkey. No antibiotics Ever, no added Hormones or Steroids, and it is a Gluten Free product.
Nutrition Team strives to provide outstanding customer service to our
guests every day. It is our goal to greet the students with a smile,
use their name, thank them for joining us and invite them back. We
value our guests and continue to work to provide a fun, healthy
environment for them to enjoy their meals.
We just finished our 7th year for our summer feeding program. This
program is offered at a variety of sites throughout the summer and
offers every child 2-18 years old a free breakfast and lunch. For more
information about this program please visit our website at
www.chicousd.org.http://www.chicousd.org/Departments/Nutrition-Services/index.html Look for us next summer 2019-20
you all for supporting the CUSD Nutrition program by having your
student join us for breakfast and lunch every day. We have many great
options for them to choose from. In order to be prepared for the
beginning of school, please make sure to fill out the meal application
enclosed in this packet and return it to our office located at: 2455 Carmichael Drive, Chico, CA 95928
Sincerely, Nutrition Services, Chico Unified School District
worked hard over the summer to get ready for the school year. We’ve
updated our menus and are serving some tasty new foods. We hope you’ll
check out our new menus and let us know what you think!
School meals provide a foundation for the learning and health of Chico's kids
- School meals provide over half of the daily recommended levels of key nutrients that children need to grow
that participate in school breakfast have improved academic and test
performance compared to students that don’t eat breakfast or eat at home
- Students that participate in school meals are less likely to be obese than their peers
School nutrition programs can help schools
- School nutrition programs provide a natural classroom to teach nutrition and healthy eating habits which last a lifetime
and federal grants for special education, after school programs and many
other services uses school meal data to determine funding levels
- Healthy participation in school nutrition programs improve the overall financial health of schools
School meals benefit families
- Over 5,000 Chico children rely on free or reduced price school meals as their most consistent source of healthy meals
- School nutrition programs help expose growing children to a wide variety of foods
need to pack a lunch! School nutrition programs can provide healthy and
hearty meals without the hassle of packing a lunch each day